Friday, March 17, 2006

Film: "Renaissance" (2006)



Yesterday I went to see the last film by Christian Volckman, "Renaissance". I didn't know anything about the film beforehand. Let's say I like sci-fi and animation films, and I was appealed by the poster of the film and the little bit of information you get in the magazine of the cinema where it was shown.

I have to say that I was very impressed by the look and general design of the film. Everything is done in black and white (not just as opposite to *color*, but pure and plain *black and *white*). The image and design of Paris in mid 21st Century is amazing, combining the magic of the city,
with its characteristic architectural style, with a *future-retro* athmosphere mixing structures on the style of the Eiffel tower, and ultra-modern buildings, with some influences from even "Metropolis".

The story itself has a promising beginning, but after a while it becomes rather topical of this genre of films, and although it's still enjoyable to watch it becomes a bit dull and previsible at some points.

In a nutshell, I'd say that it's a film with brilliant image design, (and special effects), but the story it tells, without being bad, could have been much better.

No comments: